Ecclesiastes 3: 1-11

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

What do workers gain from their toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-11

My season is changing. I have been thoroughly excited about writing and I put out some good stories with strong truths in them. My problem is the presentation could use some improvement. I went to a writer's conference recently. It was a good conference. I enjoyed it and I learned some things but I also came away with a sense of discouragement and feeling that I was doing everything wrong. God is using this event and several others to lead me into one of those teachable moments. My biggest problem is I look at things from an all or none perspective. After leaving the conference feeling defeated, we visited with some friends from college. One of them is my adopted big brother. In college, he always managed to give the push I needed and that day after the conference was no exception. He said, "You've got a good story." He's not the kind of person to artificially inflate one's ego. He said what I needed to hear, no more, no less. My stories are exciting, but they could be told better. I have considered them to be both an offering to God and a ministry.

Our kids VBS program was this morning and it was an awesome program. There was no sermon involved but that doesn't mean I didn't receive a message from the Lord. It was painful to learn that I didn't do a great job with my books, and there is a lot of room for improvement. Watching the kids in the VBS program today, I was reminded that I am a "child" of God. The emphasis here is on being a child. God loves me as his own, but I am still a child to be trained in the way I should go. My job is to be teachable. I can't be the stubborn child who wants their own way.

I have a mission and a gift. God intends me to use them in the best ways possible to honor Him. Guess what, you are the ones who benefit from this. As my writing methods improve, I expect my books to be easier to read and understand, a decrease in verbosity and maybe cheaper books if they aren't as long.

On a side note, I have taken the advice of some of my readers and shortened the chapters. I'm also making changes to my web site. We're changing the covers - lots of new things happening. I am also going to try and be patient. I want to put out the rest of my books when they are truly ready.

Love you,
Reggi

Comments

Popular Posts