Theology in Christian Fiction

Some people have trouble understanding the concept of Christian Fiction. I write Christian Science Fiction (Sci-Fi) which seems to be even more confounding. I saw a question posted the other day from a writing acquaintance regarding the theology behind a Christian Messiah in a world of Elves, Humans, and Dwarves. My goal is not to discuss that question but the presence of theology in fiction.

Since entering the writing community two years ago, I've seen numerous theological questions present themselves and I've read other Christian fantasy books. In some books, the theology or scriptural parallels are obvious while in others not so much.

Thirty-five years ago I went to college with the intention of studying theology so that whatever God led me to write would be a sound teaching. I made some mistakes back then but the foundational education I received remained. I've since spent numerous years teaching Bible studies, Sunday School classes, and other things. I teach in an effort to learn. Some lessons God has tried to teach me several times over. I did virtually no writing until ten years ago.

Ten years ago when I started writing, I had to do some serious digging into the scriptures. I've been in the church since birth, I've studied the Bible in school, read through the Bible numerous times. If anyone, other than pastors or theologians, should know the scriptures, it's me.

In C. S. Lewis's book, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, there are clear Biblical parallels. I've spent the last ten years attempting to follow this tradition. I'm coming up on my three year anniversary of being published. I haven't made the Best-Sellers' List and I haven't even made a profit. I got slightly discouraged at one point and nearly quit writing. I've learned a lot in the past year. The Lord and I had some interesting conversations about my doubts. He reminded me that he would have spared Sodom and Gomorrah if ten righteous men could be found there. Christianity teaches us that Christ would have died on the cross for even one person.

Putting strong theology in fiction increases my understanding of Biblical truths and hopefully explains it to the reader in a way that is spiritually edifying. The truth is the truth. I've never tried to rewrite the Bible. What I and others like me are writing is a colorful illustration of what we see and understand.

As writers, we may never know who will be touched by our writing. We may never know how many are reached. The thing I do know is that my writing is changing me. If I'm the only one who's changed, it is enough.

God bless you all,

Reggi


Comments

Popular Posts